Leigh Village

Jon Ponting websites

Woodland

To the south of The Leigh there is Braydon Wood and Webbs Wood, but there is no woodland in the village itself.

It wasn’t always that way... In 1086 a wood on the estate called Ashton was one league long and half a league wide (about 3 square kilometres) it lay south of the Thames in the area later called Leigh.

Known as Cove Wood, it once connected with Braydon Wood. Over the years, boundary rights meant this small wooded area became separated from Braydon, and the owners of Leigh Manor were entitled to use it as timber.

All the woodland had been grubbed up by 1769 when the area called Cove Wood Common covered 265 acres. There were apparently no later plantations and there was no woodland at Leigh in 2001.









Reference:

Italicised text: ‘A History of Wiltshire XVIII’ used with kind permission © University of London


Village Information

< Prev | Next >

< Prev | Next >

HomeLiveVillageTourismSupportInformationDirectoryFacebookContact