Leigh Village

Jon Ponting websites

Farming

Agriculture was always the main economic driver for the Leigh estate. Tenant farmers shared land and responsibilities for livestock, with the Lord of the Manor keeping overall control of the land.

In 1803, when the Eliot family sold off the estate in lots, smaller, privately owned farmsteads were formed for the first time. And although ownership of the various farms and fields has changed over the centuries, the majority of land covered by the Leigh is still used for sheep and cattle farming.

Several old farmsteads in the village are now used for equestrian activities, with horse riding schools and stables dotted throughout the village.










Dairy cows at Waterhay.




Village Information

< Prev | Next >

< Prev | Next >

HomeLiveVillageTourismSupportInformationDirectoryFacebookContact